Re: lablgtkmathview, netstring, xstr, netclient, pxp, meta-ocaml

On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 05:26:30PM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 05:05:33PM +0100, Sven wrote:
> > Where will you put the package like libcamlimages-ocaml ?
>
> Nowhere.
> I think that the metapackages are usefule for who wants to perform a
> task, e.g. developing in objective caml for beginner or install all
> ocaml libraries being able to develop offline.
>
> So I not put anywhere the runtime because I think that a user may not
> want to install the runtimes only for having it, but because something
> else need them.
>
> libcamlimages-ocaml by itself is useless, it exists only because
> something else need it and that thing does not need all other camlimages
> stuff needed by developers.
> OTOH libcamlimages-ocaml-dev by itself (obviously if you have an ocaml
> compiler :) is usefull becayse it let you develop a nice image
> conversion program.

Ok, i understand your reasoning, ....

But imagine i did build a bytecode executable on machine X, and just copied
the bytecode executable to machine Y, which does not have the developper libs
installed, it will not run.

Also imagine i did get a ocaml bytecode executable from somewhere not debian,
and want to test it.

That said, most probably, in this second case, the executable will be
statically linked, so this should not be a problem.

What do you think about this argument ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther