Re: lablgtkmathview, netstring, xstr, netclient, pxp, meta-ocaml

On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 05:32:51PM +0100, Sven wrote:
> But imagine i did build a bytecode executable on machine X, and just copied
> the bytecode executable to machine Y, which does not have the developper libs
> installed, it will not run.
>
> Also imagine i did get a ocaml bytecode executable from somewhere not debian,
> and want to test it.
<snip>
> What do you think about this argument ?

These problem fits our metapackages issues only if you think that in
such a case, a user try to solve the problem installing a full ocaml
packages bundle.

When you install a non debian software that fails loading a library, are
you going to install all lib* packages? Surely not, you are going to
find which debian packages contains the library you need.

Surely, while ocaml distribution is not huge, the "install all" solution
works for ocaml stuff, but is not an enduring solution even if your
"install all" idea is restricted to only the runtimes. In the future we
hope, we can have a lot of packages containing ocaml runtimes ...

Stefano Zacchiroli - undergraduate student of CS @ Univ. Bologna, Italy
zack@cs.unibo.it | ICQ# 33538863 | http://www.cs.unibo.it/~zacchiro
"I know you believe you understood what you think I said, but I am not
sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!" -- G.Romney