Re: xstr e netclient deb packages

On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 06:15:11PM +0100, Georges Mariano wrote:
> Sven LUTHER wrote:
>

> > Err, ...
> >
> > not wanting to go into a war between both of them.
>
> of course not , just saying that it is possible to have *simple* Makefiles
> without using findlib (since OcamlMakefile is just a bag to hold those
>  @W%#%%!#$% ocaml compilation rules ;-)
>
> > I personnaly much prefer Makefile code i have written myself.
> Yes, if you know how to do that ;-)
> (I'm really thinking about buying Oreilly's book about the use of 'make'
> .........)

take a look at :

ftp://lambda.u-strasbg.fr/vwck-20010125_1721.tgz

if you want ot see what i currently use.

> > > Where should we store the file OcamlMakefile ???
> >
> > in /usr/share/ocaml i think the policy says ...
> A few month ago I read the  debian policy (yes :-) but I don't remember
> it speaks about thing like that (Makefiles...)
>
> there is something about ocaml ???

No, but stuff from a package that is to be used and arch independent (like
makefiles) should go into /usr/share/package-name or something such.

Not sure though, please look for confirmation, but that would be the logical
place for me.

> > > (/etc ??)
> > arg, ...
> :-) yes, may be it looks stupid ... and certainly it *is* stupid,
>
> first, I think to put it in /etc because one can think that, to some point,
> an OcamlMakefile can be taylored for a particular site, so that it can
> be viewed as a configuration file...

Don't agree, /etc is already filled too much as it is, don't clutter it more

> BUT, I was not sure of that, so that the first experimental package I made
> yesterday stores the file in /usr/share/doc/ocamlmakefile if I remember
> well...

Yes, that is another solution, as is /usr/lib/ocaml/stuff, but i guess the
right way of doing this is to create a /usr/share/ocaml directory, and put all
ocaml related stuff of this kind in there.

> > Please read the packaging manual and the debian policy before packaging stuff.
> again ??? :-(

Or maybe just understand it, ...

(and it changes over time ...)