Re: sid: libc6-2.2.5-4 kills vmware workstation 3.0

On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 12:36:54PM +0200, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 10:40:56AM +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > >
> > > I can't help it you can't face the truth, I already have heard other
> > > people (who are already a DD) saying the same thing.
> >
> > Thanks for volunteering to write an open-source alternative to Ximian's
> > Exchange Connector. It's much appreciated.
>
> I already volunteer for enough things.

Then I still have a need for non-free software. My company is an
almost-all NT shop, with an Exchange server. It's pretty damned hard
living without it.

I'm paid to work with non-free software, so work with it I must. If you
can find a job that pays well and doesn't require me to do many hours,
while somewhat overlapping with my other main hobby, tell me where to
send my CV. Else, just accept that people have to use non-free software
in some circumstances; especially in the corporate world where you have
vendors that expect you to (*gasp!*) pay for their stuff.

I try hard to advocate Debian and free software, but sometimes there's
nothing you can do, especially when there's no free software or even
open source solution for knowledge management.

> > Two wrongs don't make a right, eh? Just because others are being rude
> > doesn't mean you have to be. Sometimes it's justified, but attacking
> > someone just because he uses non-capital-F-Free software is unjustified.
> > I deal with non-free software every day - we employ a seriously non-free
> > vendor solution for Knowledge Management. I'm waiting so I can buy the
> > Exchange Connector, because I work in a largely-NT shop with an Exchange
> > Server.
>
> You choosed to work with non-free software. Then you should face the
> problems non-free software has and don't complain about those problems.

If Exchange Connector doesn't work because of a fault in the way glibc
is packaged, or glibc itself, I have the right to complain and file a
bug. If it's a bug in the connector itself, the only people I can
complain to is Ximian. However, in this case, the fault was with glibc,
as Colin has stated.

> > > I will add "IMHO" next time.
> >
> > I agree with the original request. IMHO is not enough. When you post
> > with an @debian.org, you are implicitly speaking for Debian. Even if you
> > do put "IMHO", the users will still see a Debian developer flaming away
> > at those using non-free software.
>
> And who says I'm going to use that @debian.org address?

You are still a Debian developer. The only way to not implicitly speak
for Debian is not to join. (Well, you're not a Developer yet, that
passage was meant for if/when you become one).

> > > I've expressed myself almost the same way on the debian-hurd
> > > mailinglist when somebody asked if the Hurd runs on VMWare and nobody
> > > complained about it. I can't help it that there are some non-free
> > > software loving people on debian-devel.
> >
> > You can't help it that they're around, so it's your duty to flame them?
> > Come ON! Where's the open-source alternative to VMware? I use Free
> > software when I can, but sometimes I can't. VMware is one area. I have a
> > webcam which is unsupported under Linux. I have neither the time nor
> > experience (despite being a "Linux Kernel Developer" ;) to write a
> > driver, thus I'm forced to use VMware and boot into Windows to use it.
>
> http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/plex86. The other alternative is to
> buy a second-hand computer for a price less than a VMWare
> license. (This is what I've done)

And plex86 works on Windows?

> And you couldn't find a Linux hackers who wanted to write a driver for
> your webcam for $300 (the price of a VMWare license)? If you don't
> have the experience to write it yourself you can let someone else do it.

Work pays for my VMware license as I need it to work effectively. They
won't, however, pay for another computer.

> > At work I used to have to run Windows for a few things, and I generally
> > ran Linux in VMware under it. Now I don't have to do that, and run pure
> > Debian, but still, there are some cases where non-Free software is
> > unavoidable, and I'm sorry to say that you'll just have to deal.
>
> Non-free software is in almost all cases avoidable. People just don't
> care about and if there is a bug in the non-free software and the
> company doesn't provide a patch they start to complain!

Yeah, see that little bit that says "almost"? That's pretty important. I
have to use Exchange Connector and VMware to get my work done. I have to
use a closed-source knowledge management system, because it's what I'm
paid to work with.

Sometimes you don't have any option at all. The fact that Debian is my
hobby should indicate to you that Free software is my hobby, but it
doesn't mean that it's my exclusive life.

> > Being rude is not the answer to almost any situation, and flaming people
> > just because they use non-Free software isn't the answer, either. It
> > exists, it's unfortunate, but a company has to make money
> > *somewhere*!
>
> I have to eat. Am I allowed to kill you to get your food? I have to
> get my food *somewhere*.

That's a bloody stupid comparison, and you know it.

> > Money doesn't just come floating out of trees to everyone making Free
> > software.
>
> It's already proven that you can make money with free software. There
> are also other ways to make money (working in a pizza shop for
> example), why do you have to limit the freedom of others just to get
> money yourself? IMHO that's just egoism.

Ah yes, clearly.

Like Eaz ... oh wait, sorry.
Or Xim ... oh wait, they're doing non-free stuff to make money now.
How about Mandra ... crap!

> > > Then DAM has already failed with previous applicants.
> >
> > You're implying that elmo passed through every single person who is
> > currently a Developer?
>
> No, I don't see how I ever implied that. Why do you already take the
> assumption that I don't know how Developers came into Debian?

You said that he'd "already failed with previous applicants". You have
no way of knowing whether it was Joey or James that passed them, or if
they've been around since Ian's time, or whathaveyou.

> > As I said earlier, two wrongs do not make a right. I urge you to read
> > this thread and reconsider your actions. I'm not trying to force you to
> > change your views, just a) reconsider them, and b) have a serious think
> > about how you express them. Just because Branden flames quite a lot,
> > doesn't mean that you should.
>
> If you would just have read the thread on debian-devel you saw I
> already did that. And I don't see why people have problems with
> Brandnen, he seems to be a very reasonable person to me.

I do not think responding to bug reports with abuse is reasonable. Try
to be polite and have a little decorum.

You know, why don't you ask Debian people about me some day? I flamed
and abused anyone who I perceived to not be 100% with me, and look where
it got me. Not only did it make things hard for me, but abusing people
isn't ever really a nice thing to do.

--
Daniel Stone						    <daniel@sfarc.net>
hi; i?m in frqnce qnd I CQNNOT FIGURE OUT THE KEYBOQRDS HERE: Its