Re: Debian on my tablet?

On Fri, Jan 20, 2017 at 5:05 PM, Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> Yes, there is one.

Could you paste /proc/mtd into an email?

> It doesn't seem so.

You might want to contact them to ask for the open source code for your device.

If that fails then you can try to get the Linux developers to ask for
the code. There are three organisations working on GPL compliance that
I am aware of.

https://www.linuxsources.org/
https://sfconservancy.org/linux-compliance/
http://gpl-violations.org/

> Doesn't it rather have a Cortex-A9 CPU?

Cortex-A9 is a CPU design from ARM. Rockchip takes that design,
modifies it, integrates it with other things and puts the result into
one System-on-Chip, which it then manufactures and sells to device
makers. ARM itself doesn't manufacture and sell to device makers.

> I did as you suggested.  I downloaded the firmware, unpacked it with `unar' and
> then ran rkunpack over the file update.img.  Some other files were created.
> What now?

What files do you see?
Is there a zImage or vmlinuz?

> I'll try to, admitted I have the necessary skills...

Great! Any needed skills can be picked up during the process.

> Thanks indeed for your help...  What comes now?

Continue to go through the article, getting the needed info.

BTW, you can join the #debian-mentors IRC channel for packaging help
and #debian-mobile for mobile-specific things.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise