Re: Debian on my tablet?

Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> writes:

> On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 4:12 PM, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>
>> I don't know where it is stored in the tablet.
>
> It depends on the device, but usually it is one of the flash partitions.
>
> Is there a /proc/mtd file?

Yes, there is one.

> Is there anything in the subdirs of the /dev/disk/ directory?

There is no /disk subdirectory under /dev.

>> My tablet is the SmartPad 8.0 S2.
>
> I can't read Italian but I think you are talking about this?
>
> http://www.mediacomeurope.it/Prodotti/Scheda.aspx?XRI=2082

Yes, it should be.

> Did your device come with any kind of offer of source code or legal
> information? This might be in the Android UI itself. I can't find
> anything on their website.

It doesn't seem so.

> I note that the website comes with firmware downloads, the tablet has
> a Rockchip ARM CPU

Doesn't it rather have a Cortex-A9 CPU?

> and that there is a Linux flasher for Rockchip
> based devices here:
>
> https://github.com/linux-rockchip/rkflashtool
>
> I noticed that this flasher can also unpack Rockchip firmware downloads.
>
> So I would suggest downloading the firmware, unpacking the archive
> with unar (not unrar since that is non-free) and then unpacking the
> image with rkflashtool.

I did as you suggested.  I downloaded the firmware, unpacked it with `unar' and
then ran rkunpack over the file update.img.  Some other files were created.
What now?

> It would be really cool if you could also package rkflashtool for
> Debian. You can read through this to get an idea of how to do that:
>
> https://mentors.debian.net/intro-maintainers

I'll try to, admitted I have the necessary skills...

Thanks indeed for your help...  What comes now?

Cheers,

Rodolfo