Re: Fw: [Debconf-discuss] cdn.debian.net (Re: Columbia Debian mirror

On Mon, 9 Aug 2010, Yasuhiro Araki wrote:

Mattias,

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 8:27 PM, Mattias Wadenstein <maswan@acc.umu.se> wrote:
On Sun, 8 Aug 2010, Carlos Carvalho wrote:

Look at the entry for 200.17.202.1 (ftp.br.debian.org) in
http://debiancdn.appspot.com/managesurrogate and you'll see.

Hm, I finally took a look at that page and have a few suggestions:

1. Please use the 2-letter codes for countries. Thanks to DNS choosing them
most of us are much more familiar with them than the 3-letter codes.

Because cdn.d.n explains two letter codes as continental code.

I will modify to show two letter code in future.

Thank you!

2. My mirror is classified as in the wrong country - ftp.se.d.o is indeed in
Sweden, not in ISL (iceland??).

Some months ago, I added ftp.se.d.o to act as both Sweden and Iceland mirror.

Maybe, http://ftp.is.debian.org/debian/ is CNAME virtual host.
Unfortunately, current cdn.debian.net can not support CNAME virtual host.

It was an alias for ftp.se.d.o a while while they had maintenance, I think. But it is back to the proper icelandic mirror (draupnir.rhnet.is) again now.

3. A set of US mirrors doesn't seem like an optimal choice for a machine I
run in denmark. How often is the geoip db updated? The linked geoipview has
the correct, Danish, location.

cdn.debian.net decides country according to client using DNS-server's
IP address.
Then, if you use DNS in US, cdn.debian.net return US mirrors.
When you use Google public DNS, such issues happen very often.

No, I use local DNS (first resolv.conf on that host is localhost in fact).

Mapping DB of IP address and country(and continent) depends MaxMind
which updates monthly.

Ok, so there might be some lag there, I guess.

/Mattias Wadenstein