Re: Fw: [Debconf-discuss] cdn.debian.net (Re: Columbia Debian mirror

Mattias Wadenstein (maswan@acc.umu.se) wrote on 9 August 2010 13:01:
 >On Mon, 9 Aug 2010, mirror-maintainer@mirror.averse.net wrote:
 >
 >> On Mon, 9 Aug 2010, Yasuhiro Araki wrote:
 >>
 >>> I understand.
 >>> I would like to add new feature for cdn.debian.net which reply CNAME.
 >>> I think it can use for CNAME virtual host.
 >>
 >> 2 problems with this.

I misunderstood that. I agree that cdn should return IPs.

My complaint is about the probing only. I think cdn should use the
addresses in the official mirror list.

 >Also, 3) The Host: http field would be what the client thinks it is called
 >(i.e. cdn.debian.net), no matter if it is a chain of CNAMEs or an A record
 >directly.

Yes.

 >So what is needed for people with name-based virtual hosts is to add
 >cdn.debian.net (cdn.debian.org too while we're at it?) to their httpd
 >config file.

Possible but not necessary. As you said above, cdn should use the name
of the client, not choose its own.

Ideally there should be no need for the client to respond to
cdn.debian.net, because this will require action on the part of the
admins. If cdn uses the already published addresses it can operate
independently and be more effective.

 >Is it necessary to return multiple A records to the same lookup? It seems
 >to me that that would just open up the chances of them being out of sync
 >from eachother. Why not just return a single record to each client, but
 >cycle through the responses on the server side?

According to Araki's description cdn checks the trace file and only
sends mirrors that are in sync.