Re: qube1 doesn't boot anymore

* Martin B?hr <mbaehr@email.archlab.tuwien.ac.at> [2006-03-24 13:50]:
> the disk probably doesn't need to be fast, but i don't think a 2.5" disk
> in a usb case is good for round the clock operation.
>
> in general my experience with linux usb support is rather disappointing
> so that i don't really trust that in a server either.

Right.  If you wait a bit, there are a number of Nework Attached
Storage devices coming out, such as the Asus WL-700: built-in hard
drive, 64 MB RAM, Broadcom chip at 200-300 MhZ, ethernet and wireless.
And *damn* sexy, see http://wl500g.info/forumdisplay.php?f=87

It was supposed to come out at the end of 2005 but has been delayed
and delayed.  However, it's available in Taiwan now, has been shown at
CEBIT and should therefor be available RSN.

If you don't mind that it's *not* running a MIPS chip, there are
similar devices already based on ARM cores, see
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/ e.g.
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/DS101/HomePage
--
Martin Michlmayr