Re: qube1 doesn't boot anymore

* Martin B�hr <mbaehr@email.archlab.tuwien.ac.at> [2006-03-22 16:52]:
> after a recent power outage my qube doesn't boot anymore.
> unfortunately i am not near the machine and have to rely on 3rd party
> help to diagnoze the situation.

FWIW, I'm in Vienna next week so I could potentially take a look at
it. (In theory I'm there for holidays though, so...)

> reportedly the display shows "booting debian" and does nothing.
> the machine is not accessible through the network.

That suggests that it managed to load the kernel from the boot
partition.  That's a pretty good sign.

> what could keep colo from running the kernel? or cause the kernel to
> crash? how can this be diagnosed?

netconsole.  CoLo has support for netconsole, and Linux too.  It's not
compiled into the Debian kernel though, but I can compile an image for
you.

> my friend found someone with a raq2 and will now attempt to boot the
> disk from there.  but i am not sure if that will help. if the disk
> is ok, then booting should work and the problem must be elsewhere in
> the qube. but what could it be?

Broken hardware... :/
--
Martin Michlmayr