Re: qube1 doesn't boot anymore

* Martin B?hr <mbaehr@email.archlab.tuwien.ac.at> [2006-03-22 20:09]:
> you have not had real holidays until you experienced the hospitality
> of my grandma (who uses LaTeX on a laptop with ubuntu and reads her
> email using mutt on an alpha workstation with debian sarge, btw)

LaTeX and mutt?  That's amazing!  I wish my grandma would understand
how you can send "e-mail" to someone and have it pop up there seconds
later...

> > netconsole.  CoLo has support for netconsole, and Linux too.  It's not
> > compiled into the Debian kernel though, but I can compile an image for
> > you.
> i think that would be useful for all qube/raq 1 users in general.
> (useful enough as a default even for etch?)

I've thought about it... we're *just* about to get mipsel 2.6 kernels
in the archive and now that this is sorted my next step is to look at
initramfs generation on mipsel.  The netconsole module would then be
in the initramfs.  But maybe I'll compile it into the kernel... I
still need to play around and think about it some more.

Unfortunately, there seems to be a bug in klibc and so I haven't
managed to boot an initramfs yet.  Still investigating.

Anyway, I'll build a kernel for you with netconsole before the
weekend.

> > > if the disk is ok, then booting should work and the problem must be
> > > elsewhere in the qube. but what could it be?
> > Broken hardware... :/
> yes, that is what i meant with "elsewhere" :-(

Can your friend take the RAM from the RaQ and try it in your Qube?

> would be a shame. i don't want to buy new hardware. (anyone got a
> qube or raq to sell?)

I don't know what your requirements are exactly but there are a number
of really nice mipsel based access points (plus external USB drive) or
Network Attached Storage devices coming out.
--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/