Re: Becoming DM [was: Re: Tracking RFSs as bugs]

On 06/09/2011 23:47, Michael Tautschnig wrote:
Hi Chris,

[...]

As said above: I for one would be perfectly fine to offer this kind of mentoring
to you. I'm not sure whether you had ever had a negative answer to such a
request for mentorship - have you ever asked for it (before)?

I had a mentor for about a year when I first started packaging. His responses to my occasional emails were invaluable, but we lost touch last year when he moved jobs/email addresses. There is a huge difference between reading debian-policy (or the wiki, or whatever other resource), and having someone bring it to life applied to your own work.

At the start of this year I asked for a new mentor, on both debian-mentors[1] and (after nobody replied) on debian-devel-games[2]. I have 'joined' the games team on IRC, and have been told that the way to get a sponsor is to do outstanding packaging tasks on other games. Since I'm not yet good enough at packaging to do this, I have tried to contribute to the wiki instead[3], though this has been stalled by RL over the summer.

I would very much appreciate your help. May I email you?

Regards,

Chris
--
[1]http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2011/01/msg00249.html