Re: Becoming DM [was: Re: Tracking RFSs as bugs]

On 06/09/2011 09:29, Johan Van de Wauw wrote:
On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 11:09 PM, Michael Tautschnig<mt@debian.org>  wrote:
Could you please be more precise about that last bit? What exactly is hard about
becoming DM?

I really wish more people applied for DM. Sponsoring the same package more than
a few times makes little sense in most cases (there are exceptions, and I for
one are regularly sponsoring at least one such exception).

I think that he really wants to say: it is hard to get a (first)
package into debian. That is not a problem which is solved by becoming
a DM.

I don't think that is what I wanted to say (though I agree that it is hard to get one's first package into Debian).

I think what I meant was that part of the social contract, if I understand correctly, is that we're all here to become DMs/DDs, not just to get our packages uploaded by someone else and walk away. So why is it that DDs sponsor packages and not people?

Debian has a steep learning curve - I've been running several Debian systems for ~9 years, packaging for ~2.5 years and still have tons to learn. I would greatly appreciate the ability to correspond with someone about issues which arise for me *before* I have a package ready for review - or even which are only tangentially related to my package(s) but relevant to my broader understanding of Debian and the journey towards DM.

FWIW I'd support the use of the BTS for tracking RFSs. For new packages, couldn't it be as simple as tagging ITP bugs as "packaged, uploaded and awaiting review"? (Not sure about upgrades.)

Cheers,

CC