Re: Tracking RFSs as bugs

Hi Michael, hi all,

(keeping Don CC'ed)

[...]
> I've noticed that the release team has a lot of success addressing their
> issues in a rather timely manner.  I think that this success comes from
> the fact that they treat all of the items they need to accomplish as
> bugs [0].  So, as requests get old, they notice that and do something
> about it (or they just close it out if the submitter isn't responsive).

[...]

I'm all for tracking RFS in some more formal way, it would quite a bit reduce
the load on my inbox (which I'm currently using for tracking).

There is one fundamental difference, however, to, e.g, the release team: there
is no *team*. Who are "they" in case of sponsoring? What makes the situation
worse is that the number of people filing RFS is unbounded, this process is open
to everyone (don't get me wrong, this is a good thing in general).

I don't think technical infrastructure alone will solve those problems. In fact,
mentors.debian.net would already have all the necessary infrastructure: packages
are uploaded there and hence tracked. It is possible to leave comments, and
maybe this whole RFS business should just move over to mentors.debian.net.

Oh, and with all this moaning about RFS not being dealt with in a timely manner:
true, we don't manage to get packages reviewed and sponsored within 4 days, but
is the situation really that bad at the moment? Are there any packages older
than one month still waiting for sponsorship?

Best,
Michael