Re: ITS: arc-colors, gnome-colors, shiki-colors are ready

2009/6/5 Bernhard R. Link <brlink@debian.org>:
> * Dmitrijs Ledkovs <dmitrij.ledkov@gmail.com> [090605 14:01]:
>> > I've asked multiple times and not yet got a single argument why
>> > "I herby place this and that in the public domain" could see any danger
>> > to be misunderstood or invalidated by a German court.
>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Public_domain#Rule_of_the_shorter_term
>>
>> Sorry no better source.
>
> Only thing I can find there is that the "years after authors death"
> is the same without looking where the author lived. And it also says
> that the USA has the same behaviour in this regard.
>
> I doubt we will find useable software anytime soon where the
> software is in the public domain because the author is many decades
> dead, but I was speaking about people giving up their copyrights.
>
> Hochachtungsvoll,
>        Bernhard R. Link

"However, some countries make exceptions to this rule. A notorious
case is Germany, which has had a bilateral treaty with the U.S.
governing copyright since January 15, 1892. That treaty, which is
still in effect, defined that a U.S. work was copyrighted in Germany
according to German law irrespective of the work's copyright status in
the U.S, and it did not contain a "rule of the shorter term". In one
case, a German court therefore decided that a U.S. work that had
fallen into the public domain in the U.S. was still copyrighted in
Germany in 2003 in spite of §7(1) of the EU directive."

Good enough for me.

--
With best regards

Dmitrijs Ledkovs (for short Dima),