Re: ITS: arc-colors, gnome-colors, shiki-colors are ready

Am Donnerstag, den 04.06.2009, 15:23 -0400 schrieb Andrew SB:
> On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 2:42 PM, Benjamin Drung <benjamin.drung@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Am Donnerstag, den 04.06.2009, 13:18 +0200 schrieb Evgeni Golov:
> >> + Do you have years of copyright for the other contributors?
> >
> > They are copied from gnome-icon-theme. I will add 2002-2008 to all of
> > them.
>
> I actually email the upstream maintainers for gnome-icon-theme about
> this issue. It seems that Benjamin was dropped from the CC in their
> reply. Essentially, we'd have to dig through the VCS for the years,
> although some might have the year in the SVG metadata. Rodney Dawes
> wrote:
>
> "you'll have to look at the revision control history to determine
> years, though the committer name may not necessarily be who authored
> the file. However, the theme is also being re-done in all high-res
> SVG, and so at some point, all this should be much clearer."
>
> I suppose the real question is whether or not including the copyright
> year is a MUST or SHOULD. As Benjamin notes, gnome-icon-theme is
> already in Debian and does not include the years in their
> debian/copyright.

The Ubuntu package does not list years, but the Debian package does:
http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/g/gnome-icon-theme/current/copyright

> >>   And maybe you can list the files copyrighted by them? As they do not
> >>   have copyright over ALL files as listed at the moment.
> >
> > I do not know if it is possible. Victor, do you know, which files are
> > based on gnome-icon-theme files?
> >

> This would be best, but as the icons are mixed (some used directly
> while others are modified) it could be troublesome. The way we've done
> it for now seems to be very common through out Debian and upstream
> packages. Many packages list copyright holders that don't have
> copyright for every file all together if they use the same license.
> Just one example off the top of my head is awn-extra-applets. I'm
> listed in a bulk Copyright list, but I'm only the author of one applet
> out of many.

Like Victor wrote, almost all of the icons are derived from Tango/GNOME
sources. So we do not have to list them separately.

> >> + Files: Tango based icons, can you list them? Files: should be a
> >>   shell-glob/regular expression/whatever (*machine* readable :))
> >
> > Same again. Victor, can you list them?
> >

> Again, that would be best. But if this proves problematic, would
> simply removing this section be acceptable, since putting them in the
> public domain explicitly gives up copyright? Implying that we are
> relicensing them in Debian?

Yes, public domain gives up the copyright. You can do what you want with
it, including relicensing. So we can drop it. Evgeni, do you agree?

Cheers,
Benjamin