Re: [RFS] stunnel4 (updated package, adoption, RFS repost)

On Sat, Aug 25, 2007 at 11:11:05AM +0530, Kapil Hari Paranjape wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Thu, 23 Aug 2007, Kapil Hari Paranjape wrote:
> > Package looks fine. I'm currently updating my local pbuilder base and
> > will upload when that is done.
>
> Unfortunately, I just realised that there are a few more changes that
> I think you should make!
>
> 1. I think it is better to use "$(MAKE) -C src" and "$(MAKE) -C doc"
>    instead of the "cd src; $(MAKE)" and "cd doc; $(MAKE)" constructs.

Done, but not uploaded yet.

>        install -p -m 0644 tools/stunnel.conf-sample                    \
>          $(CURDIR)/debian/stunnel4/etc/stunnel/stunnel.conf
>
>        # mv executables into /usr/bin, with propper names
>        mv $(CURDIR)/debian/stunnel4/usr/sbin/stunnel                   \
>          $(CURDIR)/debian/stunnel4/usr/bin/stunnel4
>        mv $(CURDIR)/debian/stunnel4/usr/sbin/stunnel3                  \
>          $(CURDIR)/debian/stunnel4/usr/bin/stunnel3
>        rmdir $(CURDIR)/debian/stunnel4/usr/sbin/
>
>        # Move docs into propper dir
>        mv $(CURDIR)/debian/stunnel4/usr/share/doc/stunnel              \
>          $(CURDIR)/debian/stunnel4/usr/share/doc/stunnel4
>

> 2. Since you use "debhelper", I think it is better if you use debhelper's
>    .install files to move/install files in the correct places (man dh_install).

Sorry, I disagree here.

The problem is I'm not only moving things around, I'm also renaming
files and getting rid of empty dirs left behind.

man dh_install explicitely states that

    dh_install cannot rename files or directories, it can only install
    them with the names they already have into wherever you want in
    the package build tree.

Thus, if use dh_install for this, I'd still have to leave commands to
rename, completely negating the point of using it, as I'd still have
pretty much the same clutter in debian/rules *and* I'd split the
handling of this files over several places.

Should I upload with just the change from (1)?