Re: Man pages and UTF-8

David Given <dg@cowlark.com> writes:

> The standard encoding for Japanese man pages is EUC-JP

That's no more true than "the standard encoding for English text is
ASCII". The world is moving to Unicode encodings, though legacy
encodings will remain for some time.

They're also both equally irrelevant. The standard encoding for Debian
GNU/Linux is UTF-8.

> and poking around in my man directories, there are some man pages
> there which are correctly declared as UTF-8. (Take a look at
> /usr/share/man/it.UTF-8, for example.) So it's obviously
> possible. Whether there aren't any other horrible gotchas I couldn't
> say.

A previous message in this thread asserted that groff is capable of
generating UTF-8 output; but has trouble consuming UTF-8 input.

--
 \         "Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?" "I think so, |
  `\    Brain, but Tuesday Weld isn't a complete sentence."  -- _Pinky |