Re: Man pages and UTF-8

Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl> writes:

> Issues to fix
> =============

> A. man output
> B. groff processing
> C. man input

> Fixes for A. and B. are mostly local to "man-db", fixing C. would be a
> Debian-wide issue.

What I was trying to get at earlier is that I believe groff can't handle
UTF-8 input.  So fixing B, if I'm correct, is certainly not local to
man-db.  I believe that fixing groff to handle multibyte character sets
property is a substantial amount of work.  I've heard rumors from time to
time that upstream intended to do this for 2.0, but the work is mostly
stalled.

groff can apparently produce UTF-8 *output*, but I think the encodings of
all of its input at the moment are in other character sets.