Re: Man pages and UTF-8

Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> writes:

> On Fri, Aug 10, 2007 at 01:23:02PM +0200, Adam Borowski wrote:
> > All data files should be in UTF-8 [...]  you cannot inflict data
> > loss on others.  If man-db does this, it needs to be beaten with a
> > large cluestick.
>
> I think the maintainer of man-db is well aware and has more than
> enough "clue".  (The satatement like above without checking the fact
> is nothing but arrogance and should be avoided to be a good debian
> volunteer.)

I assume English is not your native language so I'll point out a
nuance that was clear to me when I read Adam's message:

There's an important difference between "beat the program with a large
cluestick" and "beat the person with a large cluestick". Adam's
assertion was only that the former was necessary.

If the person with the necessary clue is the package maintainer, they
are more than welcome to issue the beating upon the software. This
isn't an arrogant or insulting statement, because it's the software
that is being declared clueless, not the person.

--
 \       "Success is going from one failure to the next without a loss |
  `\                             of enthusiasm."  -- Winston Churchill |