stripping by upstream

Recently I've had a bug filed against a few of my packages about
final binaries being stripped even though DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=nostrip
is set (in an autobuild process). The bug goes on to say that it
could be that upstream is stripping the files.

Such is the case with my packages. Upstream does strip in the
Makefile. Aside from editing the Makefile using dpatch, is there
anything else that is easily done to correct this? I know this seems
straightforward, but I just wanted to ask before I start editing
upstream where before it was left untouched.

Thanks.

--
Kevin Coyner  GnuPG key: 1024D/8CE11941