Re: Change in my sponsorship requirements

There is also another point that I think wasn't yet mentioned - I, as
a non DD, create packages mainly because I myself want them, because
it is very comfortable. However, with a new package, it takes usually
a month or two, until it hits the unstable (many days to find a
sponsor and fix all small problems, on month in the new queue), but I
need the packages immediatelly.

So what I do is that I create a working deb in a few minutes (maybe
not lintian clean and conforming to all debian policies, but
nevertheless working), upload it to my repository with a version
0.6.0-0oc1 and then gradually improve it using versions (0.6.0-0oc2,
0.6.0-0oc3...) in the meantime search for the sponsor, he also tells
me some tips to improve, then the package is ready, so the sponsor
uploads it to the NEW queue with a version 0.6.0-1, but it waits there
for a month, but I need updates of my package now, so I create
versions 0.6.0-1oc1, 0.6.0-1oc2, ..., and when the package hits
unstable, I just create a new changelog entry 0.6.0-2 and ask the
sponsor for upload.

So I am satisfied, because I always have a freshly updated package
available immediatelly on all my computers and also it gets to Debian.

Ondrej

On 7/16/07, Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> wrote:
On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 19:28:09 +0200
martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> wrote:

> Anyway, we're not here to agree on one procedure, are we — because
> we likely never will.

True. :-)

> You gave your new policies and I added my 2¢
> in the form of showing you how I do things. Or would like to do
> them.

Actually, the discussion that ensued from my original email has helped
me finalise how I want to handle the changelog in future. It has been
very useful to see how different sponsors deal with the same problem.

All I need to do now is ensure that I put it on my website somewhere so
that maintainers know what each sponsor needs.

--

Neil Williams