Re: Change in my sponsorship requirements

Ondrej Certik wrote:
> There is also another point that I think wasn't yet mentioned - I, as
> a non DD, create packages mainly because I myself want them, because
> it is very comfortable. However, with a new package, it takes usually
> a month or two, until it hits the unstable (many days to find a
> sponsor and fix all small problems, on month in the new queue), but I
> need the packages immediatelly.
>
> So what I do is that I create a working deb in a few minutes (maybe
> not lintian clean and conforming to all debian policies, but
> nevertheless working), upload it to my repository with a version
> 0.6.0-0oc1 and then gradually improve it using versions (0.6.0-0oc2,
> 0.6.0-0oc3...) in the meantime search for the sponsor, he also tells
> me some tips to improve, then the package is ready, so the sponsor
> uploads it to the NEW queue with a version 0.6.0-1, but it waits there
> for a month, but I need updates of my package now, so I create
> versions 0.6.0-1oc1, 0.6.0-1oc2, ..., and when the package hits
> unstable, I just create a new changelog entry 0.6.0-2 and ask the
> sponsor for upload.
>
> So I am satisfied, because I always have a freshly updated package
> available immediatelly on all my computers and also it gets to Debian.
>
> Ondrej
>
> On 7/16/07, Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 19:28:09 +0200
>> martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> wrote:
>>
>> > Anyway, we're not here to agree on one procedure, are we — because
>> > we likely never will.
>>
>> True. :-)
>>
>> > You gave your new policies and I added my 2¢
>> > in the form of showing you how I do things. Or would like to do
>> > them.
>>
>> Actually, the discussion that ensued from my original email has helped
>> me finalise how I want to handle the changelog in future. It has been
>> very useful to see how different sponsors deal with the same problem.
>>
>> All I need to do now is ensure that I put it on my website
>> somewhere so
>> that maintainers know what each sponsor needs.
>>
>> --
>>

>> Neil Williams
>> =============
>> http://www.data-freedom.org/
>> http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com/
>> http://www.linux.codehelp.co.uk/

As a non DD I believe this is what I will start doing.  As my package
sets in NEW I have accumulate several bug fixes from upstream (which
were gathered independent of BTS), not to mention a few minor
packaging mistakes that I have made and my DD sponsor did not catch
(typo's mainly) this way I can stay on top of things and I don't miss
anything while the package sets in NEW.  Thanks for the idea

Reguards
Charlie