Re: Change in my sponsorship requirements

On Sun, Jul 15, 2007 at 09:37:39PM +0200, Christoph Haas <haas@debian.org> wrote:
> As I outlined in the mentors.debian.net thread I'm a great fan of not
> having different uploads with the same revision number. So I'd even like
> to enforce that uploads to mentors.debian.net with the same revision
> number as an existing upload is ignored.
>
> However the above proposals have two issues I don't really like:
>
> - they tell the package maintainer that the revision must be "-1" when
>   the package finally enters Debian. The "pre" releases using the
>   "~unreleased.1" syntax tastes complicated.
> - if the sponsor deems the package worthy to be uploaded then the
>   sponsoree would still need to build the package again because it is
>   finally allowed to carry the "-1" revision

The sponsor should have to build the package anyways, so why not make
the sponsor consolidate the changelog if he thinks it's worth uploading ?

> Why so complicated? Just increase the revision number. And if 1.0-8 is
> the first revision that fits the sponsor's taste then be it so. The
> ftp-master server is not oppinionated on revisions higher than "-1".

But then, the maintainer or the sponsor would have to take an extra care
to include the .orig.tar.gz in the changes, because default options of
build tools won't if the revision is not -1.

Mike