Re: Change in my sponsorship requirements

On Sun, 2007-07-15 at 11:45 +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> I make use of
> the new ~ character in version strings. Even more my own packages,
> I'll release
>
>   1.0-1~unreleased.1
>   1.0-1~unreleased.2
>   1.0-1~unreleased.3
>
> until it's final and I can release 1.0-1, for which I merge the
> previous changelog entries. This is more work and requires more
> recompiles, but it does the job without cluttering the changelog.

That is a good approach, in my opinion.

To make this approach more complete, the packager requesting a sponsor
could package the software initially with this version and revision:

   1.0~rfs.1-1~rfs.1

After each review the revision number is incremented:

   1.0~rfs.1-1~rfs.2
   1.0~rfs.1-1~rfs.3
   1.0~rfs.1-1~rfs.4

When the .orig.tar.gz needs repackaging, then this happens:

   1.0~rfs.2-1~rfs.1
   1.0~rfs.3-1~rfs.1

And when it's finally allright, then the package (containing a
debian/README.Debian-source) can still get this version and revision
when uploaded to Debian:

   1.0-1

Or is this "over the top"? Maybe it needlessly complicates things for
newbie packagers...

Non-DD's are also welcome to comment !

Regards,

Bart Martens