Re: Change in my sponsorship requirements

On Sun, Jul 15, 2007 at 12:41:16PM +0200, Bart Martens wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-07-15 at 11:45 +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> > I make use of
> > the new ~ character in version strings. Even more my own packages,
> > I'll release
> >
> >   1.0-1~unreleased.1
> >   1.0-1~unreleased.2
> >   1.0-1~unreleased.3
> >
> > until it's final and I can release 1.0-1, for which I merge the
> > previous changelog entries. This is more work and requires more
> > recompiles, but it does the job without cluttering the changelog.
>
> That is a good approach, in my opinion.
>
> To make this approach more complete, the packager requesting a sponsor
> could package the software initially with this version and revision:
>
>    1.0~rfs.1-1~rfs.1
>
> After each review the revision number is incremented:
>
>    1.0~rfs.1-1~rfs.2
>    1.0~rfs.1-1~rfs.3
>    1.0~rfs.1-1~rfs.4
>
> When the .orig.tar.gz needs repackaging, then this happens:
>
>    1.0~rfs.2-1~rfs.1
>    1.0~rfs.3-1~rfs.1
>
> And when it's finally allright, then the package (containing a
> debian/README.Debian-source) can still get this version and revision
> when uploaded to Debian:
>
>    1.0-1

As I outlined in the mentors.debian.net thread I'm a great fan of not
having different uploads with the same revision number. So I'd even like
to enforce that uploads to mentors.debian.net with the same revision
number as an existing upload is ignored.

However the above proposals have two issues I don't really like:

- they tell the package maintainer that the revision must be "-1" when
  the package finally enters Debian. The "pre" releases using the
  "~unreleased.1" syntax tastes complicated.
- if the sponsor deems the package worthy to be uploaded then the
  sponsoree would still need to build the package again because it is
  finally allowed to carry the "-1" revision

Why so complicated? Just increase the revision number. And if 1.0-8 is
the first revision that fits the sponsor's taste then be it so. The
ftp-master server is not oppinionated on revisions higher than "-1".

 Christoph
--
Peer review means that you can feel better because someone else
missed the problem, too.