Strange problem with upstream sources (needing to repackage?)

Dear people! I think that I need some of your help.

I have filed an ITP bug #433168 <http://bugs.debian.org/433168>.

I have adopted almost the same wording than Dr. Jens Schmalzing, which,
as you certainly know, died in 2005.

The problem is that the package distributed by Apple (now, APSL v2.0) is
packaged not as hfstools, but with a name that isn't compliant with the
Debian archive (it has an underscore in the middle of the name, for
instance).

The name of the package is diskdev_cmds-332, which poses a problem, as I
understand it.

I got a tarball from <www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/10.4/> and put
it on my homepage <www.ime.usp.br/~rbrito/debian/diskdev_cmds-332.tar.gz>.

Seeing <www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/10.4/diskdev_cmds-332/>  [1]
reveals some discrete parts which are my main intention to be packaged.
The interesting parts for my ITP are, mainly:

www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/10.4/diskdev_cmds-332/fsck_hfs.tproj
www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/10.4/diskdev_cmds-332/newfs_hfs.tproj

with, possibly, other accessory subprojects, but *not* all the
infra-structure for Darwin (since we already have that in the Linux
Kernel). We just need the userland utilities for HFS+ filesystems.  [2]

So, what should exactly I do? Should I repackage the tarball that I got
from the site? Should I maintain it in disagreement with the Debian
Policy?   [3]  Or is what the Policy says is only valid for the binary
packages?

Thanks for any help with these controversial points, Rogério Brito.

[1] I think that the site requires a login, but it is painless and
available for anybody, but I provided the sources anyway.

[2] It seems that Gentoo already has the userland utils available and
there was an article for Debian users that use HFS+ filesystems at
<http://www.debian-administration.org/users/lee/weblog/21>.

[3] http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-controlfields.html#s-f-Package