Re: Removing non-free documentation from a package

On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 05:12:06PM +0200, Rafael Laboissiere wrote:
> * Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> [2005-09-15 10:07]:
>
> > On Thu, 15 Sep 2005, Rafael Laboissiere wrote:
> > > I buy Sven's arguments in favor of adding -nonfree.  I would also strip the
> > > "lib" at the beginning of the name.  The upstream Perl module is called
> > > Parse-RecDescent, so I would call the package parse-recdescent-doc-nonfree.
> > > What do you think?
> >
> > Stick to the perl package naming convention. Please.
>
> Well, the new package will not contain a Perl module, so I do not see the
> need to sticking to the conventions (cf section 4.2 of the Debian Perl
> Policy).  The package containing the Parse::RecDescent module with the
> tutorial stripped is still called libparse-recdescent-perl.

Doc packages are usually called package-doc.  I see no reason to change that
here, except that adding non-free seems to make sense.  Removing "lib" would
just confuse the name, because it would be less clear which package the doc is
for.

> At any rate, I guess you are suggesting the name
> libparse-recdescent-perl-doc-nonfree, aren't you?

That's what I'd suggest.

> Good chances to win the longest-package-name contest in Debian :-)

Non-free isn't technically "in Debian" :-P

Anyway, I don't see any problem with having a long name.  Debian is high
quality software, which will not stop working because of it. :-)

Thanks,
Bas