Re: Removing non-free documentation from a package

Rafael Laboissiere wrote on 15/09/2005 13:15:
> [Please Cc: replies to me.]
> My package libparse-recdescent-perl contains a tutorial in HTML which is
> non DFSG-compliant and I have to remove it from the main package.  The
> tutorial is actually quite helpful and I would like to make a nonfree
> package for it.
>
> My questions are:
> 1) Do I have to create a separate source package for the nonfree binary
>    package?

Since the non-free documentation needs to be removed from the source
package in main, obviously yes, you need to create a second source package.

> 2) How should the nonfree package be called?  The options would be:
>
>    libparse-recdescent-perl-nonfree
>    libparse-recdescent-perl-doc
>    parse-recdescent-doc
>    parse-recdescent-nonfree
>    parse-recdescent-doc-nonfree
>    parse-recdescent-nonfree-doc
>
>    or variations of the above.

Since the original package is libparse-recdescent-perl, I would name the
non-free package libparse-recdescent-tutorial (if it really only
includes a tutorial) or libparse-recdescent-doc-nonfree (if it is more
than just the tutorial). In the latter case, I appended -nonfree to not
block the -doc package name once free documentation becomes available.

cu,
sven