Re: usbmount: automatically mount and unmount USB mass storage devices

Adeodato Simó <asp16@alu.ua.es> writes:

> * Martin Dickopp [Wed, 27 Oct 2004 00:22:22 +0200]:
>> martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> writes:
>
>> > Anyway, couldn't you possibly create a little tool which would start
>> > a command after remounting the device async, and mount it sync
>> > again once the command stopped? Then I could say something like:
>
>> >   fastusb rsync -a ~/ /media/usb
>
>> I can do that, but in order to be useful for ordinary (non-root) users,
>> the tool would have to be setuid root, so that it can do the remounting.
>> This requires some careful programming, i.e. it'll take some time.
>
>   I'm not much into this kind of things, but you may find this of some
>   interest (I think):
>
>     ITP: pmount: http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2004/10/msg00802.html
>
>   the scenario your package tries to solve seems so common that major
>   development is being put into solving it.

Thanks for pointing this out!

Both pmount and my package try to solve the same problem -- letting
users access removable media. The difference is that pmount allows users
to mount and unmount these devices manually, while my script mounts and
unmounts them automatically. Another difference is that pmount requires
the user to know the name of the device node (my script doesn't), but
pmount lets the user choose the mointpoint (my script doesn't).

Due to these differences, I consider it worthwhile to continue working
on my package. In fact, I feel encouraged by the fact that I'm
apparently not alone in wanting the underlying problem solved. :-)

Please note that pmount, like my script, sync-mounts the device, so it
has same speed issue that Martin has pointed out. In fact, the "fastusb"
tool he has suggested (and on which I'm currently working) might also be
useful to pmount users.

Thanks,
Martin

--
  / ,- )    Martin Dickopp, Dresden, Germany    ((_/)o o(\_))