Re: usbmount: automatically mount and unmount USB mass storage devices

also sprach Martin Dickopp <martin-deb@zero-based.org> [2004.10.26.2128 +0200]:
> When the device is pulled from the USB port, the script kills all
> processes that have been accessing the filesystem and then
> unmounts it.

Have you tried the -l option to umount instead?

Imagine the case where I am working on my laptop on a file sitting
on a stick, and someone in the train wants me to get up while I am
adding the finishing touches to a paper. As I get up, the stick
slides out a little, causing my vim to be killed and potentially
taking all data with it?

Why kill?

> Since udev runs the script immediataly /after/ the device has been
> pulled, it is too late for any attempt to still save any data
> then.

USB handles insertions correctly, giving power to the device first
before connecting the control. It's crap that they didn't go one
step further.

> I must have misunderstood your point about using floppies instead,

The speed. Using sync means that you are going to crawl.

`. `'`