Re: usbmount: automatically mount and unmount USB mass storage devices

martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> writes:

> also sprach Martin Dickopp <martin-deb@zero-based.org> [2004.10.26.2128 +0200]:
>> When the device is pulled from the USB port, the script kills all
>> processes that have been accessing the filesystem and then
>> unmounts it.
>
> Have you tried the -l option to umount instead?
>
> Imagine the case where I am working on my laptop on a file sitting
> on a stick, and someone in the train wants me to get up while I am
> adding the finishing touches to a paper. As I get up, the stick
> slides out a little, causing my vim to be killed and potentially
> taking all data with it?

Good point.

> Why kill?

The idea was that once the device is pulled, everything is lost anyway.
I have to admit that I had failed to think of the case where the same
process also holds data not stored on the device. I'll kill the killing
of processes. :)

> USB handles insertions correctly, giving power to the device first
> before connecting the control. It's crap that they didn't go one
> step further.

Indeed.

>> I must have misunderstood your point about using floppies instead,
>
> The speed. Using sync means that you are going to crawl.

Given that the user can pull the device at any time (even accidentally,
as in your example), I think that data integrity should take precedence
over speed. Anyway, if most other users use their USB pens in the same
way as I do (i.e. primarily for data exchange, not as a working
directory), speed is not such an important issue.

Martin

--
  / ,- )    Martin Dickopp, Dresden, Germany    ((_/)o o(\_))