Re: Bug #23053 (was Re: fix for frozen)

Turbo Fredriksson <turbo@tripnet.se> writes:
> James Troup <J.J.Troup@scm.brad.ac.uk> writes:
> > We're asking you to use
> > some damn common sense.  There is an interface to
> > /etc/{group,passwd,shadow} which is *more than adequate* for your
> > needs.  Had you used it the issues of locking and incorrect ownership
> > would be non-existent, as they deal with that for you and god knows
> > what other issues besides.  They exist, and they are enough for
> > adduseer.  Why are they not enough for you?  Why can you not use them?
>
> Because I never heard of them... I'll fix this in the next release (slink),
> or is it serious enough that I have to fix it for hamm?

I believe what you were (?) doing is still a crucial bug.  If the hamm
version still has you directly mucking with files you don't own in
/etc, it is severely broken.  Please don't take offense at this, it's
just that we have a lot of pride in our Policy and in our product.

You should either fix it for hamm or remove it from hamm.

Futhermore, any followup discussions concerning a bug should be CC'd
to the bug tracking system, hence my CC to 23053@bugs.debian.org.

You should not try to redesign /etc/passwd at all (i.e., the
discussion about using a database format for /etc/passwd).  Instead,
find out about PAM and how it makes that proposal irrelevant.