Re: Bug #23053 (was Re: fix for frozen)

Jim <jim@laney.edu> writes:

> Now correct me if I'm wrong... but a package shouldn't go messing with
> permissions of files that are so important without the user saying "I
> want this". True?

Right! My fault (or maybe Linux/Linus, I don't know. If I, as root, modifies/creates
a file, I, and my primary group will own this file. True?

> This in addition to the fact that xadmin doesn't create
> /etc/shadow and therefore doesn't own it. (Note that this especially includes
> any attempt to directly modify the files, say in order to add or delete an
> account. newusers, adduser or useradd should be used for this purpose.)

That was exactly what happens! I, as root is adding/creating/deleting (etc) a user,
the program xAdmin is therefor run by root, therefor /etc/shadow will be owned by
root.root, True?

> I can, however, see in a package that is positioned to make admin life easier,
> a button that resets all such permissions to the correct values, but this
> should not happen directly. Packages such as base-passwd should provide a
> panic button to reset things it owns to the right thing.

In a program like this, /etc/shadow will (and should still be owned to root.shadow)
no matter what, Right?

(If I sound sarcastic, that is exactly what I am. Check the facts before you
come with arguments, even if this is 'debian-mentors', where people might not be
so experienced. I am fully aware that this is in true a bug in the program!)

The fix is simple:

  chown("/etc/shadow", "root", "group");

in the correct line of the code... Which I have done. I was wondering how I would
write the changelog, so that it will find it's place in frozen (hamm). It is not
necessary that it would go into slink quite yet, since I thought that I would
fix some more, not so serious bugs to...

 Turbo  ___________     Debian GNU/Linux   Unix _IS_ user friendly - it's just
 ^^^^^  ___  /___(_)__________  _____  __  selective about who its friends are
  _ /// _  /___  / _  / / / /_/ /__>  <   Turbo Fredriksson Tel: +46-704-697645
  \\\/  /_____/_/  /_/ /_/\__,_/ /_/|_|   S-415 10 Göteborg    turbo@tripnet.se
                  PGP#788CD1A9            SWEDEN         www5.tripnet.se/~turbo
----------- PGP:  B7 92 93 0E 06 94 D6 22  98 1F 0B 5B FE 33 A1 0B ------------
--
PLO Semtex arrangements Waco, Texas Clinton $400 million in gold
bullion Uzi DES assassination cracking [Hello to all my fans in