Re: Finishing ncbi-vdb and sra-sdk

Hi Aaron,

Le 14/10/2022 à 02:05, Aaron M. Ucko a écrit :
Pierre Gruet <pgt@debian.org> writes:

I have just pushed some changes. I adopted the -- I believe -- least
invasive solution by creating a new package libngs-jni which depends
on the shared lib package (not the -dev one), only ships a symlink to
the shared lib with full version number, and on which the -java
package depends. By the way I also made it Architecture: all and
ensured it was binNMU-able.

That ought to work, thanks, but shouldn't it be Architecture: amd64?  We
could get away with all as long as the package is otherwise amd64-only,
but we may be able to revisit getting it to build on either or both of
ncbi-vdb's other supported architectures (arm64 and x32).

Hmm, I did not have in mind that the package is ready for amd64 only. If this is the case, then yes, we should not use Architecture: all at the moment (which is otherwise the general rule for -java packages).

As such, the new -jni package is not Multi-Arch: same as it ships the
shared lib symlink in /usr/lib/jni. But if you think it should be,
then we could install the symlink in /usr/lib/<triplet>/jni. This is
less canonical regarding the Java policy but technically that should
be OK.

I'm all for Multi-Arch in general, but am content to defer to Java
policy in this case.

After giving it some thoughts, I convinced myself it would be better to fit Multi-Arch: same and put the symlink in /usr/lib/<triplet>/jni, which only violates a "should" in the Java policy but is nevertheless done for many packages. Also this architecture-specific path is searched when loads shared libraries from Java code, so I have pushed the change to Salsa.

Cheers,

--
Pierre