Re: [MoM] incorporating phyutility into the packages

Hi Stephen,

On Wed, Mar 05, 2014 at 09:28:39PM -0500, Stephen Smith wrote:
> Hi Andreas,
> Been playing around a lot more with pbuilder and the like and I believe I
> have it right. For some reason my lintian call wasn't calling the location
> of the changes files. Everything is getting put
> in /var/cache/pbuilder/result/ but I do have a deb

As I said I get the BUILDRESULT=../build-area and if you might prefer
this it is probably easy to find the documentation how to do this (if
not - as always - please do not hesitate to ask).

> and things seem ok other
> than a few things from lintian:
> W: phyutility: new-package-should-close-itp-bug
> W: phyutility: binary-without-manpage usr/bin/phyutility
> Also, I should add a rule to put a simple shell file that installs with the
> deb that calls to jar for easier use (like java -jar phyutility.jar).
> Do you have a suggestion of what would be the best way to do that?

:-)
Since this *is* done you get the warning about binary-without-manpage.
The script is originated from my first attempt to package and is
(hidden) in debian/rules/bin.

Please verify that it is carrying the best set of options you want your
users to use.  Moreover you might like to create a simple manpage which
gives a short explanation.  Usually help2man gives some reasonable
skeleton for this.

Further needed changes:

  - When I created the packaging debhelper compatibility level was 8
    Please increade debian/compat to 9 (and adjust the debhelper version
    in debian/control)
  - Please add yourself in debian/changelog and add your ID (same
    Name and e-mail as in debian/changelog) to Uploaders in d/control.
    The easiest way would be to use

        dch

    (see `man dch`)  Feel free to drop my name from d/changelog it
    is fine if the entry is kept short and it remains in d/copyright.
  - Please update debian/copyright by adding your name to the
    debian/* section.  You should also update the Format.  Hint:

      cme fix dpkg-copyright

    is your friend!
  - Finally you should write an ITP bug

Ahh, if there are any publications for phyutility available these
should be mentioned in debian/upstream/metadata.