Re: [MoM] ProbABEL packaging

Hi Lennart,

On Mon, Dec 09, 2013 at 11:39:48PM +0100, L.C. Karssen wrote:

> >> So I need to tag the whole probabel directory (source + debian/ dir)
> >> with the upstream version number?
> >>
> >> Like this?
> >>  git tag -a v0.4.1 -m "Tag of source version v0.4.1 of ProbABEL"
> >
> > Most probably not.  If you imported via
> >
> >    git import-orig --pristine-tar
> >
> > than the tag was just set.  What do you get when you do `git tag` ?
>
> Ah, I see:
>  $ git tag
>  upstream/0.4.1
> So git push --tags will do the job.

Yes.

> >> Questions about some of the warnings:
> >> 1) W: probabel: script-with-language-extension usr/bin/extIDS.pl
> >>      Do I need to fix this? Users are used to add the .pl extension
> >> (especially for the main wrapper script propbabel.pl).
> >
> > This is subject of several threads here on the list and the opinion of
> > different team members is different.  The last time this issue was
> > discussed is here:
> >
> >    https://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/debian-med-packaging/2013-November/023454.html
>
> Thanks, I'll go over that discussion and start the discussion on the
> upstream mailing list as well.

Thanks.  Having stronger ties to upstream really helps.

> >> 2) W: probabel: package-contains-upstream-install-documentation
> >> usr/share/doc/probabel/INSTALL.gz
> >>      What is the best way to deal with this? Remove the INSTALL file in
> >> debian/rules? Or simply remove it from the directory structure?
> >
> > Remove it in debian/rules.  It is just part of the upstream tarball and
> > there is no point in fiddling around with this.
>
> I've tried to find out how to fix this in debian/rules, but I'm not sure
> how to do it.
> I tried adding the following to debian/rules, but then only INSTALL.gz
> will not be installed, COPYING.gz and LICENSE are still there:
>
> override_dh_installdocs:
>         dh_installdocs -XINSTALL -XCOPYING -XLICENSE

I think the problem is that these docs are not installed by dh_installdocs
but rather by dh_install.  Looking into the log file (*.build) I see:

   dh_auto_install -O--parallel
Making install in doc
make[2]: Entering directory `/tmp/buildd/probabel-0.4.1/doc'
make[3]: Entering directory `/tmp/buildd/probabel-0.4.1/doc'
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `install-exec-am'.
 /bin/mkdir -p '/tmp/buildd/probabel-0.4.1/debian/probabel/usr/share/doc/probabel'
 /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 ProbABEL_manual.tex QuickStart.txt short_coxph_data.txt short_height_base_add.out.txt.save short_height.txt short_logist_data.txt short_test.mldose test.map test.mlinfo test_regressi
on.R COPYING LICENSE INSTALL ChangeLog TODO '/tmp/buildd/probabel-0.4.1/debian/probabel/usr/share/doc/probabel'
   dh_installdocs -O--parallel

which means that the documentation files in question are just right into
place before dh_installdocs is started.  So I would solve this by doing
something like

  override_dh_installdocs:
	dh_installdocs
	find debian -name INSTALL -delete
	rm -f debian/$(DEBPKGNAME)/usr/share/doc/$(DEBPKGNAME)/COPYING
	<whatever method to remove you prefer>/LICENSE

Just pick your favourite method to remove the files manually.

> Also, in order to fix the name of the ChangeLog.gz file to changelog.gz
> I tried adding
>
>  mv usr/share/doc/probabel/{ChangeLog,changelog}.gz
>
> to the dh_installchangelogs override (which doesn't work because the
> path is wrong). Is there a DH variable that points to the build dir, or
> should I simply prefix the path above with debian/probabel?

I'm not really sure whether I understand your question correctly.  It
might be helpful if you always just commit + push your changes even if
it does not work as expected.  Your code will help me to understand the
question better and I could even push my fixes right into the repository
which might be more helpful than any verbal description.

I somehow have the feeling that my example above could possibly answer
your question, thought.