Re: [MoM] ProbABEL packaging

Dear Andreas,

On 04-12-13 21:22, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hi Lennart,
>
> thanks for your effort to become a skilled packager in Debian Med team.
> As you can see we are a team competing in doing the work of mentoring.
> ;-)

Good to see so many enthousiastic people.

> I just add some more further things to Steffen's answer.
>
> On Wed, Dec 04, 2013 at 07:46:52PM +0100, "Steffen Möller" wrote:
>>> Dear list,
>>>
>>> With this e-mail I'd like to sign up as a student for the Mentoring of
>>> the Month program. I'd like to learn how to properly package ProbABEL
>>> [1,2].
>>>

>>> This is what I have so far:
>>> - a .deb in an Ubuntu ppa that passes all tests done there. It's based
>>> on the source .tar.gz, which uses autotools, and has only one or two
>>> lintian warnings.
>>> - The debian directory of this package was adapted by hand from the
>>> dh_make defaults.
>>
>> Technically this is about what you need. What remains is someone to
>> upload. Steps 1-6 below are meant to help with
>> this process, basically an extension to what email can do.
>>
>>> Is the following the right course of action (please correct where
>>> necessary)?
>>>
>>> 1) File an intent to package bug
>>
>> Yes, in deep theory this should have been done even prior to
>> packaging, just indicating your itention to go for it. This helps
>> search engines to pick it up - my personal main motivation.
>
> Steffen has perfectly described the official sense of an ITP.  I
> *personally* take the freedom to derive from this also by first bringing
> the packaging to some pre-release state to be very sure, that I will
> really be able to finalise the packaging.  This has the advantage that
> the Debian bug tracking system does not end up as a collection of never
> uploaded ITPs.  In our field of specific packages chances, that somebody
> else would work at the same time at the very same package are very low -
> so no real harm is done.  In short:  Your way to do the packaging first
> and than ITP is not really wrong.  And yes, it's fine if you do so now.

OK, then I'll try to make the packaging work before filing the ITP.

>>> 2) list package in the task file
>>
>> Yes. Very promotional. Besides the source code management, this
>> is what keeps Debian Med together. Not a requirement for the upload
>> per se, the entry produces happy smiley faces everywhere.
>
> I'll care for this if you don't mind.  That's a one liner and I'm quite
> used to this.  I'd like to do this *after* you commited your packaging
> to git.debian.org since all needed information is fetched automatically
> from there.

Sounds great!

>>> 3) update my present debian directory to Debian standard and commit it
>>> (including source .tar.gz?) to the debian-med git (I have more
>>> experience with subversion, but would like to learn more about using git
>>> and the git-related packaging tools).
>>
>> Very helpful for the reviewers of your package.
>
> I would not call this only "helpful" but rather would require it if you
> want *me* to sponsor it.  I do not sponsor any Debian package which is
> not maintained in any team VCS since it has turned out to be very
> practical.  The rationale is that I take the freedom to do simple
> changes myself and just let you know via commit log.  That's sometimes
> way more efficient than writing to you an e-mail with an extensive
> explanation what you should do - sometimes just doing it is way more
> instructive and avoids misunderstandings.

I completely agree.

>> I personally think
>> that subversion is doing just fine for packaging. Go for git if you
>> feel like it.
>
> Subversion is in dead OK but I'm also enjoying to learn Git from my
> Debian team mates.  It might happen that I also need to ask for some
> Git help - but I know where to ask and teaching this to you by doing
> it right in front of problems might be a nice experience for you.

Alright, git it will be then.

If I read the policy correctly this boils down to the following, right?

mkdir package
cd package
git init
git import-orig --pristine-tar /path/to/package_version.orig.tar.gz
dh_make -p package_x.y.z

<make any changes to the debian dir>
<try building the package>

ssh git.debian.org
cd /git/debian-med
./setup-repository pkg 'Packaging of pkg in Debian'

git remote add origin git+ssh://git.debian.org/git/debian-med/package.git
git push --set-upstream
git push --all --set-upstream

>>> 4) let this be reviewed by my mentor
>>>
>>> 5) improve the package based on the comments by the mentor
>>
>>> 6) repeat 4) and 5) until the package is deemed good enough for uploading.
>>
>> Yes. Sounds like right. With 3) done, it is also not unlikely that
>> your reviewers just performs smallish changes and then uploads without
>> bothering you with it.
>
> ... Steffen says it in other words. ;-)
>
>> Sounds great! Steam ahead, please!
>
> Yep.  Just go on and create your first Git repository in the Debian Med
> space and do not hesitate to ask any question here even if you think that
> it is stupidly simple.  There is no point in letting you wasting time by
> speculating whether this should be asked or not - just ask and we will
> answer patiently.

OK, clear!

Thanks a lot for the help so far.

Best regards,

Lennart.

> Kind regards
>
>        Andreas.

L.C. Karssen
Utrecht
The Netherlands

lennart@karssen.org
http://blog.karssen.org

Stuur mij aub geen Word of Powerpoint bestanden!
Zie http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.nl.html