[MoM] ProbABEL packaging

Dear list,

With this e-mail I'd like to sign up as a student for the Mentoring of
the Month program. I'd like to learn how to properly package ProbABEL
[1,2].

This is what I have so far:
- a .deb in an Ubuntu ppa that passes all tests done there. It's based
on the source .tar.gz, which uses autotools, and has only one or two
lintian warnings.
- The debian directory of this package was adapted by hand from the
dh_make defaults.

Is the following the right course of action (please correct where
necessary)?

1) File an intent to package bug

2) list package in the task file

3) update my present debian directory to Debian standard and commit it
(including source .tar.gz?) to the debian-med git (I have more
experience with subversion, but would like to learn more about using git
and the git-related packaging tools).

4) let this be reviewed by my mentor

5) improve the package based on the comments by the mentor

6) repeat 4) and 5) until the package is deemed good enough for uploading.

Best regards and thanks for any help,

Lennart Karssen.

[1] Main web page: http://www.genabel.org/packages/ProbABEL
[2] Source in SVN:
svn://svn.r-forge.r-project.org/svnroot/genabel/pkg/ProbABEL

L.C. Karssen
Utrecht
The Netherlands

lennart@karssen.org
http://blog.karssen.org

Stuur mij aub geen Word of Powerpoint bestanden!
Zie http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.nl.html