Re: [MoM] ProbABEL packaging

Hi Andreas,

On 09-12-13 15:19, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Dec 09, 2013 at 02:49:38PM +0100, L.C. Karssen wrote:
>>>
>>>          git push --tags
>>>
>>> since no tags are set yet and at least the upstream version should be
>>> tagged.
>>
>> So I need to tag the whole probabel directory (source + debian/ dir)
>> with the upstream version number?
>>
>> Like this?
>>  git tag -a v0.4.1 -m "Tag of source version v0.4.1 of ProbABEL"
>
> Most probably not.  If you imported via
>
>    git import-orig --pristine-tar
>
> than the tag was just set.  What do you get when you do `git tag` ?

Ah, I see:
 $ git tag
 upstream/0.4.1
So git push --tags will do the job.

>>> Regarding your packaging:  In any case you should run
>>>
>>>    lintian probabel_0.4.1-1_amd64.changes
>>>
>>> and I also recommend using "-I" to get info level warnings.  If you
>>> specify "-i" option you get verbose information about every warning
>>> type.
>>>

>> Thanks, I didn't know about the -i option. Very useful.
>>
>> Do I need to fix all warnings, or only errors? Or can I add overrides?
>
> Strictly speaking you only need to fix errors for a successful upload.
> But we do not only want to do successful uploads but we try to get high
> quality packages and so warnings should vanish as well except if we have
> good reasons for an override.  From my first view non of the warnings
> were worth an override - we should rather fix all the issues.

OK, let's see what I can fix :-).

>> And what do I do with the Info items?
>
> These are worth fixing as well.  We can work down this step by step.
>
>> Questions about some of the warnings:
>> 1) W: probabel: script-with-language-extension usr/bin/extIDS.pl
>>      Do I need to fix this? Users are used to add the .pl extension
>> (especially for the main wrapper script propbabel.pl).
>
> This is subject of several threads here on the list and the opinion of
> different team members is different.  The last time this issue was
> discussed is here:
>
>    https://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/debian-med-packaging/2013-November/023454.html

Thanks, I'll go over that discussion and start the discussion on the
upstream mailing list as well.

> and I would like to invite you to read the two links I mentioned there
> which give explicite reasoning why there should be no language
> extensions.  Since you are working together with upstream I would really
> love if you could take over the work to teach upstream that there should
> not be any language extension (and the links providing you with
> information why not).  If you (and upstream) might totally disagree with
> the arguing and you insist that this needs to be that way for good
> reasons and none of the workarounds I proposed seems acceptable we might
> leave it as is.  Please note:  My mentoring job is not about putting my
> personal opinions on you.  If you have good reasons to diverge from it
> that's OK.
>
>> 2) W: probabel: package-contains-upstream-install-documentation
>> usr/share/doc/probabel/INSTALL.gz
>>      What is the best way to deal with this? Remove the INSTALL file in
>> debian/rules? Or simply remove it from the directory structure?
>
> Remove it in debian/rules.  It is just part of the upstream tarball and
> there is no point in fiddling around with this.

I've tried to find out how to fix this in debian/rules, but I'm not sure
how to do it.
I tried adding the following to debian/rules, but then only INSTALL.gz
will not be installed, COPYING.gz and LICENSE are still there:

override_dh_installdocs:
        dh_installdocs -XINSTALL -XCOPYING -XLICENSE

Also, in order to fix the name of the ChangeLog.gz file to changelog.gz
I tried adding

 mv usr/share/doc/probabel/{ChangeLog,changelog}.gz

to the dh_installchangelogs override (which doesn't work because the
path is wrong). Is there a DH variable that points to the build dir, or
should I simply prefix the path above with debian/probabel?

Thanks,

Lennart.

>>> I think for the moment this is enough advise.  Just let me know if you
>>> have some problems to understand and solve the lintian issues.
>>>
>>> Kind regards and thanks for your work on this
>>

>> Thanks a lot for the help!
>
> That's the sense of MoM.  We should iterate through all these issues until
> we have a high quality package.
>
> Kind regards
>
>       Andreas.

L.C. Karssen
Utrecht
The Netherlands

lennart@karssen.org
http://blog.karssen.org

Stuur mij aub geen Word of Powerpoint bestanden!
Zie http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.nl.html