Re: [MoM] ProbABEL packaging

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for the feedback.

On 09-12-13 09:11, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hi Lennart,
>
> On Sun, Dec 08, 2013 at 11:17:19PM +0100, L.C. Karssen wrote:
>
> Seems this has worked since I'm able to rungit-buildpackage.  Please do
> not forget
>
>          git push --tags
>
> since no tags are set yet and at least the upstream version should be
> tagged.

So I need to tag the whole probabel directory (source + debian/ dir)
with the upstream version number?

Like this?
 git tag -a v0.4.1 -m "Tag of source version v0.4.1 of ProbABEL"

> Regarding your packaging:  In any case you should run
>
>    lintian probabel_0.4.1-1_amd64.changes
>
> and I also recommend using "-I" to get info level warnings.  If you
> specify "-i" option you get verbose information about every warning
> type.

Thanks, I didn't know about the -i option. Very useful.

Do I need to fix all warnings, or only errors? Or can I add overrides?
And what do I do with the Info items?

Questions about some of the warnings:
1) W: probabel: script-with-language-extension usr/bin/extIDS.pl
	Do I need to fix this? Users are used to add the .pl extension
(especially for the main wrapper script propbabel.pl).

2) W: probabel: package-contains-upstream-install-documentation
usr/share/doc/probabel/INSTALL.gz
	What is the best way to deal with this? Remove the INSTALL file in
debian/rules? Or simply remove it from the directory structure?

> I guess you might be astonished about
>
>     changelog-should-mention-nmu
>
> which is basically because you did neither adapted changelog nor
> d/control to your user ID.  The easiest way to get this in changelog
> is to do
>
>     dch -i
>
> but make sure you do not create a new changelog entry since you have the
> target release "unstable" dch assumes the package was just released.  I
> took this as motivation to change the package_template and injected
> UNRELEASED there (which you should do as well as long we do not release.
> Please add the same user ID as it is in changelog into debian/control as
> Uploaders.  For the moment I do not see any reason to leave me there but
> it is OK if my ID is in a comma separated list with yours.

OK, I've changed that (still have you in uploaders list, at least for
now). I haven't committed this yet, I'll do so together with some of the
lintian fixes after I've got the tagging done right.

> I think you can remove debian/get-orig-source since it seems there is no
> need for repackaging (and thus you can also remove the get-orig-source
> target from debian/rules).

Done.

> I think for the moment this is enough advise.  Just let me know if you
> have some problems to understand and solve the lintian issues.
>
> Kind regards and thanks for your work on this

Thanks a lot for the help!

Lennart.

>      Andreas.

L.C. Karssen
Utrecht
The Netherlands

lennart@karssen.org
http://blog.karssen.org

Stuur mij aub geen Word of Powerpoint bestanden!
Zie http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.nl.html