Re: How to proceed with EMBOSS packaging (Was: About having EMBOSS 6.4.0 in Wheezy or not.)

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 05:57:33PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> > Huh??? As far as I followed the mail exchange regarding this the issue
> > was clarified and settled.  Is there any news which I might have missed?
>
> Sorry, I was unclear; the problem with the test suite is solved.

Ufff, I was afraid this issue would remain ...

> After having third parties work hard and consult their lawyers to solve the
> problem, I feel reluctant to move EMBOSS to non-free because of source-less
> jars.
>
> I admit I should have triplechecked that the rest of the package is 100% fit
> for main before bothering UniProt.

IMHO it was the perfectly correct action from your side to contact
UniProt.  Many thanks for your effort into this.

> Given that these jars are already in main, I think that it would not hurt to
> upload 6.4.0.  Then I can write an email to the upstream developer list,
> announcing the good news, enquiring for 6.5.0 (in the past they sent us
> prereleases) and discussing how to build jebmoss using Debian's jars.  Once
> this is achieved, we can upload a stripped source package.

I do not have a totally good feeling in doing this but pragmatically
speaking you are correct and so lets move on this path.

> Thanks a lot for your help, I am still quite short of time this week...

>From my perspective all (other) *packaging* issues are solved and I
could go for an upload.  I personally do not have any idea how to do
further testing.  Do you think it is OK to upload as is (see latest
push)?  I would like to tackle the embassy packages *after* the upload
to use pbuilder properly - so we do have a short period when embassy*
packages do not build in unstable but I do not see this as a large
problem.

What do you think?