Re: How to proceed with EMBOSS packaging (Was: About having EMBOSS 6.4.0 in Wheezy or not.)

Hi again,

Le Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 09:59:01AM +0200, Andreas Tille a écrit :

> I agree that hiding this problem via lintian-overrides probably is not
> the best solution.  However, on the other hand, the overrides file
> provides a nice way to document exactly what you wrote above.

Good point, go ahead !

>   1. Moving the complete EMBOSS suite to non-free
>   2. Creating a 6.4.0~dfsg tarball by dropping the complete jemboss
>      dir and in addition having a jemboss-6.4.0 source package which
>      should be moved to non-free as a first quick shot.  Then we
>      could sort out the jar dependencies step by step

After spending a lot of time on clarifying the license of the test suite files,
I would be very ashamed to report that it wasted everybody's time because
EMBOSS has anyway to go to non-free.  Not to mention that moving EMBOSS to
non-free was one of my propositions at that time.

I admit that when I started to package EMBOSS, I did not understand that .class
files (what a misleading name) are not source code.

The best is to work it out with Upstream, in the course of packaging version
6.5.0 or 6.6.0, as the situation with 6.4.0 is not a regression.  To my
knowledge, none of these jars are non-free software, and for the one that is
specific to EMBOSS, the source is provided.

Cheers,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,