Re: Multiple publication data in upstream-metadata.yaml (Was: Adding Rostlab packages to our tasks files)

Le Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 01:01:29PM +0100, Andreas Tille a écrit :

>   1. On one hand it makes upstream-metadata.yaml file more complex.  For
>      instance you would probably also want some ranking of the multiple
>      publications.
>
>   2. It does not help if the information is in but no application takes
>      it out.

Hi all,

indeed, complexity is an issue.  For the moment, no data structrure is
supported, and I would prefer it to stay simple.  As explained in the
documentation on the wiki, the use of hashes is convenience for registering a
lot of fields that have the same prefix.  For instance:

Foo-Bar: A
Foo-Baz: B

is equivalent to:

Foo:
 Bar: A
 Baz: B

(see http://wiki.debian.org/UpstreamMetadata )

To store a list of references, one would need a complex syntax, which would also
make the information more difficult to store.  Currently, it is a simple list
of package-field-value triples, which is easy to interrogate with commands
such as:

curl http://upstream-metadata.debian.net/emboss/reference-year

This said, I have a proposition for packages where multiple references are
available.  I noted that many of them provide this list on their website.  I
therefore proposed in the documentation to indicate this URL.  In the case
of disulfind, it would be:

This is likely to be usable in the blend's sentinel pages.  However, I have not
implemented this.  I do not have a particularly good excuse, except that I am
not a python programmer, so I would need to block a long slot of time to really
get into it, and recently such slots I have given them to DEP 5 or to my
attempts to use Debian Installer to prepare Amazon Machine Images (see
http://charles.plessy.org/Debian/debiâneries/nuage/ and #637784).

The data is in the UDD, so anybody can give it a try.  It is loaded and
refreshed in the http://upstream-metadata.debian.net site on demand, each time
information about a package is accessed (with a small temporisation to avoid
hammering Alioth).  As a consequence, the information will be transferred or
refreshed (daily) to the UDD only if it has been accessed.  I see this as a
feature.  To force refreshing a list of packages, one just needs to construct
and access urls like the one given above.  In the future, I would like to write
a Subversion and Git commit hook that does this when
debian/upstream-metadata.yaml is refreshed.

Lastly, since upstream-metadata.yaml is long to type, I have been tempted to
rename the logistics around the file ‘umegaya’ for Upstream MEtadata GAthereing
with YAml.

Cheers,

--
Charles Plessy