Multiple publication data in upstream-metadata.yaml (Was: Adding Rostlab packages to our tasks files)

Hi Laszlo,

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 12:25:29PM +0100, Laszlo Kajan wrote:
> The YAML syntax I used for Disulfinder may not conform (Steffen warned me about this as well), but I /would like it to conform/, to motivate a
> way to give multiple references.

I changed subject to make pretty sure Charles who basically invented
this format will read this mail (Charles, please also go back to the
previous mail in this thread).

IMHO the problem has two sides:

  1. On one hand it makes upstream-metadata.yaml file more complex.  For
     instance you would probably also want some ranking of the multiple
     publications.

  2. It does not help if the information is in but no application takes
     it out.

For the moment the only application which is really parsing the info in
upstream-metadata.yaml is an UDD[1] gatherer (Charles, could you please
give a status update).  Because the web sentinel is completely based on
information in UDD it is quite simple to obtain the information I need
from there.

Other applications I would like to see is an auto-generated BibTeX
database (package) which contains all citations used in Debian packages.
But that's currently only an idea.  Since DebConf 10[2] we are talking
with unregular frequency about this topic.  It probably needs somebody
with a strong motivation to really use this BibTeX database to write
some code (which should not be that hard - a bit of Perl/Python hacking
and the conversion from yaml to BibTeX would be done).

>From my point of view a possible solution for your current problem
would be the following:

  1. Insert the "main" publication into the task file
  2. Add a "Remark" field saying something like:

   Remark: Further citations available
    Besides the publication above you can find more citations at
    http://...

This works for now and other issues should be discussed properly.

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/UltimateDebianDatabase
[2] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianScience/ProblemsToWorkOn