Re: feedback on live-helper web-frontend

Daniel Baumann <daniel@debian.org> writes:
> prefix the subject with 'cgi:' for a better overwview on the bugs page.

See #586766

>> Is it possible to choose two package lists in
>> http://live-helper.debian.net/cgi-bin/live-helper at all? My initial
>> goal was to have an USB stick that would be as identical as possible
>
> currently not, no.

Ok. Does this mean that it is not possible to re-create
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/release/current-live/i386/usb-hdd/debian-live-504-i386-gnome-desktop.img
using the web interface?

If yes, this should definitely be documented. I assumed that if I
wanted to make small changes to the official image I could build such
an image with the web interface.

> no offence, but that sounds like using the big iron to solve a very
> small problem. how about writing the image to the stick, mounting it,
> and adding the necessary parameter in syslinux/live.cfg.

I personally can certainly do that or even just run "lh build" in my
unstable chroot but people who know little about debian and just want
to test if it works on their machine are surely not going to figure it
out. (Also, I assume this method fails with ISO images.)

However, I have to admit that changing keyboard layout is irritating
for me mostly since it requires me to use the mouse under GNOME a lot
:-)

>> I meant a description of what things like "gnome-core" and
>> "gnome-full" are. Neither "man lh_config" nor
>> http://live.debian.net/manual/en/html-single/live-manual.html even
>> mention "gnome-core".
>
> those are supposed to be covered in the manual at some point, but that's
> not yet done.

Ok, I think this is the largest usability problem of the current
interface. Instead of documenting all options, how about just
documenting the most commonly wanted ones?

1) gnome system with network manager, openoffice and iceweasel.
=> plain "gnome" did not include network manager and I could not use wifi.
=> should this be "gnome-full"?

2) fairly minimal system without X
=> should this be "standard"?

best regards,