Re: feedback on live-helper web-frontend

Greetings,

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 7:08 AM, Timo Juhani Lindfors
<timo.lindfors@iki.fi> wrote:
> Daniel Baumann <daniel@debian.org> writes:
>> prefix the subject with 'cgi:' for a better overwview on the bugs page.
>
> See #586766
>
>>> Is it possible to choose two package lists in
>>> http://live-helper.debian.net/cgi-bin/live-helper at all? My initial
>>> goal was to have an USB stick that would be as identical as possible
>>
>> currently not, no.
>
> Ok. Does this mean that it is not possible to re-create
> http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/release/current-live/i386/usb-hdd/debian-live-504-i386-gnome-desktop.img
> using the web interface?

I believe you can build something similar if not exact. The packages
list is http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/release/current-live/i386/usb-hdd/debian-live-504-i386-gnome-desktop.img.packages
  Please know that currently the cgi interface only uses main. i.e. no
contrib or non-free in sources.list on building.

> If yes, this should definitely be documented. I assumed that if I
> wanted to make small changes to the official image I could build such
> an image with the web interface.

I believe so.

---snip---

>>> I meant a description of what things like "gnome-core" and
>>> "gnome-full" are. Neither "man lh_config" nor
>>> http://live.debian.net/manual/en/html-single/live-manual.html even
>>> mention "gnome-core".
>>
>> those are supposed to be covered in the manual at some point, but that's
>> not yet done.
>
> Ok, I think this is the largest usability problem of the current
> interface. Instead of documenting all options, how about just
> documenting the most commonly wanted ones?

Yes documentation is always helpful and anyone can contribute to the
manual. The method to contribute is covered in the manual itself.

> 1) gnome system with network manager, openoffice and iceweasel.
> => plain "gnome" did not include network manager and I could not use wifi.
> => should this be "gnome-full"?

I generally use gnome-core and then add the packages I want for sure.

> 2) fairly minimal system without X
> => should this be "standard"?

standard-x11

> best regards,