Re: feedback on live-helper web-frontend

On 06/21/2010 09:21 PM, Timo Juhani Lindfors wrote:
> 1) Please mention http://live-helper.debian.net/cgi-bin/live-helper in
> the email that is sent. Since building image can take a while users
> can easily forget the url of the web-frontend..

fixed in git, thanks.

> 2) Please indicate (both in the email and in the web page) clearly
> where feedback should be sent. The web page has
>
> "Debian Live Project <debian-live@lists.debian.org> - Legal information"
>
> but this is a developer list.

no, it's the list of all users/developers/$whatever regarding debian-live.

> Are you expecting end-user feedback
> there? If yes, please consider reformatting it to read
>
> "To send feedback please subscribe to the debian-live mailing list at
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-live/ and mail it to
> debian-live@lists.debian.org"

i've added a similar text in the mail templates as well, thanks. on the
page i don't intend to change it though, it's the generic footer.

> 3) Add an option to specify default keyboard layout. I think this
> should just use
>
> --bootappend "keyb=XX"

not anymore since live-boot/live-config (it's
live-config.keyboard-layouts=foo there).

anyhow, until there's an improved html form for it with the online help,
the users need to include such things manually in --bootappend under
'Advanced binary options' in the form.

> 4) http://live.debian.net/README.images says that the official
>
> debian-live-${DIST}-${ARCH}-gnome-desktop
>
> is created using "-p gnome-desktop". The web interface offers gnome,
> gnome-core, gnome-full and gnome-junior. Does any of these match the
> official gnome-desktop image?

gnome-desktop is not an acutal list within live-helper, it's a shortcut for:

  * gnome and standard-x11 packageslists
  * gnome-desktop, desktop, laptop, and standard tasks (varies though
    between lenny and squeeze/sid)

> Is there some documentation also available for the other package list
> options?

not sure what you mean here.

> 5) Consider also including html version of the lh_config manual page
> and also a link to http://live.debian.net/manual/en/html/

this is on the todo which i'm refering to 'provide an online-help' in
the cgi (with links to the respective explanations in the manual etc.).

> 6) Include estimation of image size. Many people still have 1GB usb
> sticks.

i'm afraid there's no way to guess the image size before actually
building it.

> 7) Since the build expires in 24 hours, please include all the options
> that were used to create the image also in the email and/or the image
> itself so that users can report bugs later more easily.

commited in git that it's including the options in the image.

> 8) http://live-helper.debian.net/build/20100620.114901.935576434/binary.img
>
> does not let me login. I tried user/user, user/"", root/"", root/root
> , user/live, root/live. The boot shows

this is a know issue (live-initramfs is broken in squeeze/sid, and
replaced by live-boot and live-config, which was uploaded more than a
month ago, but ftp-masters apparently decided to not process it).

as a workaround, we're including the snapshots if live-boot and
live-config from live.debian.net/debian for squeeze and newer images on
live-helper.d.n. however, it turned out, that that workaround was
incomplete, it didn't made it into the final images and got dropped on
the way, this is fixed in git, and Richard will update the autobuilder
with the fix really soon now.

> best regards,
> Timo Lindfors

Thanks for your feedback, most appreciated.

Regards,
Daniel