Re: Affero General Public License

On Sat, Feb 11, 2006 at 04:18:26PM -0500, Benj. Mako Hill wrote:
> There's the possibility that we solve this problems in different ways
> for different classes of license. The AGPL might not do that now but
> maybe we can make it do that or find another license that does
> that. Maybe we have a different GPL compatible license when it comes
> to software in arcade games or toll booths?

If you have one GPL-ish license designed for arcades, and another for toll
booths, and another for web services, then you can't use code written for
toll booths in a web service, and vice versa.

That's the crux of the problem: these licenses, targetting a specific
use, tend to make it impractical or impossible to use the code for a
very different purpose.  Having several of them for different purposes
doesn't solve that problem.

--
Glenn Maynard