Re: Affero General Public License

<quote who="Glenn Maynard" date="Sat, Feb 11, 2006 at 05:10:14PM -0500">
> On Sat, Feb 11, 2006 at 04:18:26PM -0500, Benj. Mako Hill wrote:
> > There's the possibility that we solve this problems in different ways
> > for different classes of license. The AGPL might not do that now but
> > maybe we can make it do that or find another license that does
> > that. Maybe we have a different GPL compatible license when it comes
> > to software in arcade games or toll booths?
>
> If you have one GPL-ish license designed for arcades, and another for toll
> booths, and another for web services, then you can't use code written for
> toll booths in a web service, and vice versa.

That's a pratical problem, not a freedom issue. That doesn't mean it
doesn't matter but the GPLv3 shows draft already shows that these sorts
of pratical problems can more easily be worked around.

> That's the crux of the problem: these licenses, targetting a specific
> use, tend to make it impractical or impossible to use the code for a
> very different purpose.  Having several of them for different purposes
> doesn't solve that problem.

The problem right now is one of license freedom. The pratical problems
you describe, while important, are another set of issues entirely.

Regards,
Mako

--
Benjamin Mako Hill